George Fan, P.Eng has a strong educational background holding dual masters’degrees in Electrical and Building engineering. His work experience has provided him with over 28 years of hands on professional experience in engineering and construction industry covering a broad range of sectors and projects.
• Experience covers commercial, residential, governmental, institutional, healthcare, life science, oil & gas, power, transportation, manufacturing and nuclear sectors
• Expertise in HV/MV/LV electrical system design, installation and commissioning
• Expertise in lighting and lighting control systems
• Expertise in grounding and lightning systems.
• Expertise in instrumentation and control system design, programming, commissioning and system integration
• Expertise in fire alarm systems, security (access controls, CCTV, intrusion detection) systems, telecommunication systems and audio/video systems, and PA systems
•In-depth knowledge in application of codes and industry standards such as
NBC, ONBC, BCBC, CEC, NEC, CSA, ULC, NFPA, UL, ANSI, NEMA, IEEE,
IEC, API, TIA/EIA, ASHRAE, etc.
•In–depth knowledge of building mechanical systems and mechanical engineering design
• Good command of green and energy saving design methodologies
• Experience in project management and execution
• Excellent leadership and communication skills
• Bachelor, Electrical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, PRC, 1988
• Master, Electrical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, PRC, 1993
• M.Sc., Building Engineering, Concordia University, Montreal Quebec, 2002
• Ontario Professional Engineer, Certificate #100113288
• Alberta Professional Engineer, Certificate #159683
• British Columbia Professional Engineer, Certificate # 32165
• Saskatchewan Professional Engineer, Certificate # 16865
•Makes decisions and recommendations around projects, standards, and engineering methods
• Exercises solid judgment and exhibits initiative in interpreting policy on the planning and implementation of projects and/or work assignments
•Manage electrical and instrumentation resources, schedule, budget and technical quality
• Organize and supervise work of electrical and instrumentation group
• Perform final review and approve all electrical and instrumentation deliverables and ensure design compliance with project management
procedures, design standards, regulatory, environmental, health and safety requirements
•Review and approve all change orders
•Manage sub-consultants, contractors and vendors
•Lead the preparation of FEED deliverables and detailed engineering construction drawings
•Oversee completion of engineering design (FEED and Detailed
•Identify critical path of engineering deliverables pertaining to assigned area within the facilities
• Review and approve MR/TBE/WO/PO, provide support during
•Review design packages and ensure design compliance with project management procedures, design standards, regulatory, environmental, health and safety requirements
•Monitor project activities including cost and schedule and provide timeline updates to management team
•Provide project field support during construction and commissioning activities
•Coordinate with different Enbridge stakeholders, consultants, contractor and vendors.
•Plan and schedule project electrical activities
•Build up project electrical team
•Manage electrical resources, schedule, budget hours and technical quality
•Review project electrical scope of work and prepare engineering change orders
•Prepare electrical WBS and electrical deliverable list
•Attend internal and external engineering meetings and coordinate with client and other disciplines
•Final review and approve all electrical deliverables
•Perform value engineering evaluation
•Prepare electrical engineering weekly progress reports
• Mentor Intermediate/junior electrical engineers/designers
• Liaise directly with the client and act as electrical discipline
representative on the project
•Lead multiple simultaneous projects from conceptual stages to detail design stages, through to construction and commissioning
• Plan, schedule and determine manpower requirements for multiple concurrent projects
• Ensure the work meets schedules and coordinate assignments with other disciplines
• Develop single line diagrams for MV/LV (44KV/13.8KV/4160V/600V) power distribution systems
• Carry out engineering calculations and analysis using ETAP or SKM power system software for demand load, equipment sizing, voltage drop, motor
• starting, neutral grounding resistors (NGRs), and system power factor improvement
• Develop protection, relay coordination and relay settings for the power distribution system
• Design substation layouts, grounding layouts, electrical equipment layouts, MV/LV motor control schematics, control panel layouts,cable and tray schedules
• Design I & C systems, including control schematics, wiring diagrams, sequence of operation
• Specify and select electrical equipment, prepare data sheets, prepare RFQs and material requisitions. Interface with Vendors, review Vendor bids, conduct technical evaluations and make recommendations
• Instruct engineers, designers, draftspersons, and secretaries in the preparation of electrical technical documents and drawings
• Verify, correct, modify, and authorize electrical technical documents and drawings
• Mentor junior engineers, designers and CAD designers
• Liaise directly with the client and act as representative on projects
Preparation of electrical, communications, and special systemsportions of project proposals, including manhour design estimates.
• Work with Merrick & Company electrical discipline lead and discipline representatives to delegate electrical, communications, and special system design tasks
• Electrical, communications, and special systems design calculations
• Preparation of electrical, communications, and special systems cost estimates
• Preparation of electrical, communications, and special systems specifications
• Use of software, including SKM, for design solutions
• Construction supervision
• Writing field reports, requests for information, change orders, and issuing site instructions
• Reviewing and commenting on shop drawings
• Identification of scope and requirements; identification authorities having jurisdiction and applicable codes; design calculations, major equipment selection and system layouts; site inspections and reports.
• Prepared project documentation including drawings, specifications, schedules and estimates.
• Prepared system layouts, details, single-line diagrams, riser diagrams, legends and schedules.
• Performed load, lighting, voltage drop and fault calculations.
• Supervised and directed designers and draftpersons in preparing design documents.
• Attended coordination meetings and coordinate design with other engineering disciplines.
• Interfaced with clients, contractors and sales reps.
• Participated in site tours with contractors during bid period and assisted with the review of tenders / bids.
• Attended site meetings, perform site visits, prepare site visit reports and deficiency reports.
• Prepared addenda, site instructions, contemplated change notices and review C.C.N. pricing as required.
• Reviewed and responded to requests for information.
• Reviewed shop drawings, progress draws, record drawings and maintenance manuals.
• Designed and submitted on new control systems. Developed the program data bases for DCS systems as well as from time to time performed site visits to assist technicians in startup and debugging. Did all the order entry and provided a backup resource for project management during the installation phase and online support for end users.
• Supervised and directed a team to perform plant/facility control systems design, writing sequence of operation, control logic and software design, startup and commissioning of facility control systems; coordinated with clients and construction discipline.